Monday, 11 November 2013

So You Think You Can Dance Season 3

This past weekend the third season of So You Think You Can Dance South Africa had its final curtain call. The finale was a bit bittersweet in that the show was ending and a winner would be crowned  but really great because I wouldn't have to see izicefe that are Sinazo, Lorna and Themba.

Let me start at the beginning. When I heard that the show would be back - after nearly three years off air - the  first thing I wanted to was if Sade would also be returning. Listen, Sade is my entire childhood so I always show up for her. Soon I, along with the whole country, learned Sade was doing bigger and better things and she'd be replaced by Sinazo Yolwa. Yaaaawn. I like Sinazo I just don't think SABC 1 is really her speed. No ma'am. And her mic technique really bugged me! To add salt to this already uncomfortable change they introduced new judges: Lorna Maseko [Lukhele?] and Themba Nofemele. Whaaat? Ok. Keep an open mind sisterrr, I told myself. My first instincts were correct - the judges' table was a mess. Themba constantly seemed like he didn't know what he was talking about - the only way dancers knew he approved of their Kwaito/Pansula/Sibhujwa performances was when he invited them to join him in Soweto. RME. Lorna was just an awkward addition for me and that's the beginning and end of it.



The only constant I had to cling to like a life jacket this season, aside from the fact that South Africans are talented AF, was head judge Harold Van Buuren. He never once let me down and kept his hair laid and in place, hunty.

[caption id="attachment_25" align="aligncenter" width="584"]Laid. Laid.[/caption]

During the auditions Verb had me grinning like a fool in awe and tweeting inappropriate thoughts about krumpers in general. Evan and his red speedo, which lasted the whole season, freaked me out. I was beyond excited when I saw Robyn auditioning again and was even happier when she was sent straight to the callbacks. Then when I was getting bored of the tedious audition "finnies" Lee-chè, of V.I.N.T.A.G.E Crew, was on my screen voguing and Leyomi dropping all over the place and I was just all "yaaasssssss".

All in all it was a decent season. Some of the eliminations were a bit problematic for me, namely letting Nosie go. The other boring, slightly embarrassing bit were the musical "performances"  during the result shows. Urban Brew needs to stop inviting singers onto their shows just to lip-sync. No.

Back to the Final.

SYTYCD-top-4

Robyn, Sibahle, Charlie and Chris got enough votes to land in the final and they made it a great show. Even though I never really got into Charlie he proved his mantle with his final solo dance during the finale and got me on board. But my top picks were still and always have been Robyn and Chris.

Robyn:

SYTYCD-robyn

Robyn and I go as far back to the time she won the Shield Teens dance competition. I was in front of my TV even then watching her be great. I was watching the first time she auditioned to be on So You Think You Can dance and being cut during callbacks. She's also part of the incredible V.I.N.T.A.G.E Crew. I wanted her to win from the moment she got that ticket straight to the call backs.

#DancingWhiteBoo:

SYTYCD-chris-&-nosie

I wasn't a day one Chris fan - in fact he was always in the background for me but came straight to the fore when he and Nosie danced a contemporary piece choreographed by the wonderful Lorcia Cooper. From that day on, he became my second choice if Robyn didn't win and I dubbed him my #DancingWhiteBoo. He's an incredibly good-looking, talented man and I wanted me a piece. His top six collaboration with Charlie is one of my most favourite things in life. I was on my feet screaming...yes, I get a bit fanatical sometimes.

Of course, if you were watching the finale then you know that neither one of my favourites won. Instead it was Sibahle who got crowned South Africa's favourite dancer. She'd been a firm fan favourite from day one and never danced for her life so disappointed as I was I wasn't too surprised. Personally I never really got her - though her Show Dance performance with Nick is one of my favourites from the season.

Sytycd-sibahle

Congratulations to Sibahle on her win. I hope her mum enjoys her new house and that more dance talent comes out of Kayelitsha in the next few years.

All images via the So You Think You Can Dance Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?