Friday, 11 April 2014

Friday Funday One - KFC Mzantsi to China TV Ad

Ad people are clever and sneaky (I should know, I studied to be one) in how they almost consistently make you feel good (or bad) and still pull the chair from under you in the end. We have one of the saddest, one dimensional and generally gross ad industries out there. For every "they almost nailed it" ad out, there are ten ads that make me feel someone should be fired because they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

                              

This recent KFC ad starts out pretty enough. Little black girl in a city where it's a whole other culture and she doesn't speak the language? Awww. Then another cute girl sees her struggling and offers her help. The three seconds where the girls are running around to whatever the Chinese little girl thought would be helpful my heart melted. 
Then BAM! KFC. Uhm, yeah, because fried chicken is the traditional cuisine of all black people. That stereotype just sullied the ad's sweetness. A spoon, fork, or chop sticks lesson would have been nice. If I were in a new country and all miserable I'd miss Chicken Licken wangs and not KFC. I'd miss Sunday kos before I missed KFC. But neither of these sell KFC so...
                             

Check the ad out. What do you think?



There are many other things that taste like home. KFC, no so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts?